LSC400 and eprime / Presentation

Hi Gang,
We have been using successfully the Lumina LSC 400 box with 2 buttons, 3 and 4 buttons key pads using Presentation and E-prime generated tasks for fMRI scans on our 1.5T and 3T MRI sanners.

Since I have to officilly put some info. in our on-coming Grant for fMRI I need the following info:

My question is: In either Eprime and Presentation, how does one define the buttons on serial response box to corroborate with the mode and speed on the Lumina box?

Meaning, how do i know what mode and pseed to select using either programs? How do you decide COM2 v/s COM1, Speed 19200 v/s 115200, etc?

Please advice. Hisham, earlier I have personally sent you a mail too.
Many Thanks

Raj Sangoi
NKI for Psych. Research.
NY 10962

Hello Raj,

Good to hear from you. I hope that all is well.

Lumina manages to work with E-Prime by emulating PST’s own SRB Model 200A response pad. You can see a photo of the SRB in this tech support note. The SRB supports 9600 or 19200 baud rate only, so these are basically your only two speed options.

You have more options in Presentation depending on how much PCL programming you want to do. This tech note might be useful. With Presentation, you can detect Lumina’s output via the parallel port as well.

Regarding COM ports, with either program this depends entirely on which physical port the Lumina controller’s serial cable is connected to. It really doesn’t make any difference as far as accuracy is concerned – except if you are using a USB-to-serial port converter, which will introduce some delays.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Hisham.