Two data file suggestions

One feature I would like to see is the ability to specify a character (e.g., a comma, dos-pipe, or whatever) to separate the fields in the data file.

Another option that would be great is the ability to append the data to an existing file–i.e., to write one data file for an experiment rather than one file per subject. It all has to end up in one file eventually for analysis, after all.

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

One feature I would like to see is the ability to specify a character (e.g., a comma, dos-pipe, or whatever) to separate the fields in the data file.

Makes sense. I’ve added this to our to-do list.

Another option that would be great is the ability to append the data to an existing file–i.e., to write one data file for an experiment rather than one file per subject. It all has to end up in one file eventually for analysis, after all.

We debated this issue internally during SuperLab 4’s development then decided against it, mainly due to integrity issues, e.g. what happens if you’re appending to a file that already has data for 20 participants and something goes wrong such as a crash, brownout, or power loss? What happens if the user somehow deleted or added a new code, hence resulting in an additional column to be saved? or if you are using the mouse input but your assistant turned off the option of saving the mouse’s pixel position, hence resulting in two fewer columns and resulting in serious column mismatch in the data file?

For all these reasons, we decided to continue saving the files independently and instead to provide later a separate merging utility that can check for mismatched columns and then perform the merging.

Hisham.