Randomizing Trials

Hi,

I want to set up 1 block of 6 trials in a random order, each of which contains 20 events in a random order. I’m fine with everything except. . .I want all 20 events of Trial X to be presented before any of the events of Trial Y begin.

Basically:

B1: Trial X (randomly chosen): 1-20 (random order)
B1: Trial Y (randomly chose): 1-20 (random order
etc

How do I tell the block to wait until all the events of one trial have finished before randomly selecting another trial?

Many thanks!
Julia

Hello Julia,

This action should be the default for SuperLab. Have you had trouble setting it up?

Hi, Monika,

I have had trouble setting it up. When I select “randomize” in the block editor and “randomize” in the trial editor, it selects one event from one trial, then another event from another trial, etc. I want it to randomly present all events in a randomly selected trial before moving on to another trial. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Julia

Can you post your experiment?

Hi, Monika,

Here it is! The stim list is videos, so those won’t come through at your end, but the form should come through? Basically, I want all the videos for each speaker to play before the next speaker is randomly chosen. I only have a few videos for each speaker in there now, but will eventually have ~150 for each.

Thanks!
Julia

Word identification Version A.sl4 (13.8 KB)

Because you are using Stimulus lists, SuperLab is not able to randomize all the events in the trial before moving on to the next. If you go to the Experiment tab, then select Expand Events that use Lists…, you will see exactly what is happening in your experiment. I would suggest not using stimulus lists and then your randomization should work out the way you want it.

Hi, Monika,

Thanks for getting back to me. The problem with expanding all the lists is that I need to have a response screen after each video. Is there any way to have the video events be randomized, but have a response screen after each one?

Thanks,
Julia

Please look at the attached experiment. Feedback was added to each video event. Using feedback was the easiest way to get your videos randomized and have a response after each time one was presented.

Word identification Version A Modified.sl4 (22 KB)