questions!!

hello all,

i’m an undergrad attempting to design 2 separate studies using superlab, and i’m a little stuck on how to do what i want to do.

-first, is there an option to create masked stimuli (e.g. for subconscious priming)? if so, how? if not, does anyone have any recommendations for creating subconscious stimuli? the shortest amount of time an image can be displayed is 1 millisecond, and if shown straightfowarwardly, it’s very obvious to the viewer.

-second, is it possible to combine 2 events (specifically a text and an audio event) for a ‘correct response’? i’m trying to make a stroop-type task with written vs spoken words, but i’m not really sure how to go about doing that because it seems like correct responses can only be attributed to one event at a time.

i’d really appreciate help/suggestions on either of these points. i will be checking this forum (probably more than is necessary :p), but email would be great too - a.ostrove@yahoo.com.

thanks!!

-ao

The shortest amount of time that a stimulus can be displayed is not 1 millisecond. It is 1 refresh cycle. The duration of a the cycle depends on your monitor + video card combo. For example if your monitor is set to 60 Hz, the refresh cycle is 1/60 seconds, or 16.66 milliseconds.

Yes, it is possible to combine text and audio in the same trial. Click on the Help menu within SuperLab and select Help Contents. Once the Help window opens, you will find under the section How Do I… a topic called “Present a picture while a sound is playing”.

thanks, Hisham, i appreciate the information! :slight_smile:

i will try to adjust the monitor settings, if possible. unfortunately, there’s probably not much i can do about the video card without dishing out large amounts of money, haha.

as far as the audio/video question, i’ve already figured out how to display the text with the sound at the same time. my concern is that i want participants to press one button if a certain audio/visual stimulus is present and another button if a different audio/visual stimulus is present. since all events will be randomized, though, and ‘correct responses’ seem only applicable to one event at a time, i’m not sure how to do this.

In a text/audio pair, most likely the text event is coming after the sound. So the text event would be where you would set the correct response. If you have only two events per trial (as opposed to having all pairs be linked to the same trial), then the participant response is also the response for that trial.