Question regarding using movies and images

I am running an experiment in which I am basically comparing the reaction time and accuracy rate of an image versus a movie. The movies are of various lengths and therefore I need to have the image displayed at the same length as the corresponding movie.

I want to set it up so that the movie and the corresponding image appear for the exact same time (the full length of the movie). There is a way to make it so that movie disappears after it has completed so that the participant can submit a response. However how do I set it up so that the image disappears after a set time without starting a new event?

I need it all in one event because if the participant responds while the video/image is still playing it turns up in a different column than if they respond AFTER the stimuli is displayed. I hope this makes sense!

-Mike

Unfortunately, SuperLab 4 can’t do what you’re asking. Even with planned-but-currently-unshipped features, you’ll still need a second event to continue looking for a response after the picture has been erased.

As a workaround, you could create a movie that has nothing but the one picture in it (but an appropriate length). Then, you could take advantage of the existing movie features while not limiting yourself to using multiple events.

just out of curiusity, do you know any programs that can turn a picture into a movie (that just doesn’t move?)

I know I’ve seen a lot of them out there, but I don’t know any names off the top of my head. Are you running on a Mac or Windows?

Keynote

I’ve used Keynote (on Mac) to make a movie out of a sequence of slides. I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for a single slide. Does Powerpoint allow this? Don’t know.

Greg Shenaut