Insufficient memory error

I am getting errors when trying to run a task that has auditory stimuli. Each stimuli is a WAV of a single letter or number. Each trial presents between 3 and 7 stimuli. There are 60 trials. About halfway through, it stops playing the WAV files. When I exit the experiment, it gives the following errors (I cancel the experiment when it starts happening). I tried checking the “load them all before starting the experiment” under the Memory Management option.

Reproducible: Always

12:23:00 PM: Error in PortAudio. Open stream. Code: -9999. Message: “Unanticipated host error”.
12:23:32 PM: Error in PortAudio. Open stream. Code: -9992. Message: “Insufficient memory”.
12:23:32 PM: Error in PortAudio. Open stream. Code: -9992. Message: “Insufficient memory”.
12:23:49 PM: Error in PortAudio. Open stream. Code: -9992. Message: “Insufficient memory”.
12:23:49 PM: Error in PortAudio. Open stream. Code: -9992. Message: “Insufficient memory”.

This error message is basically saying there are too many sound files open at one time. This could happen within SuperLab for two reasons:

1. If your experiment is designed in a way where you have a majority of your events in a single trial.

2. If within the Event Editor, under the Stimulus tab, you have “Allow audio to continue playing until it ends on its own” selected. If this is the case choose another option.

It was #2. We went in and changed all the events to the ‘end audio at end of trial’ option, and now the tasks works as intended. Thanks!

Feature request: Is it possible for future Superlab versions to automatically close audio files when they’re done playing? These files were only ~500 ms audio files … not sure why it was keeping all of them open after they ended.

SuperLab does close at the end of every trial (except for audio files that are intended to play until they end on their own) but not within a trial due to timing considerations.