Error message and crashes

I recently installed the new SuperLab version on a new computer and re-activated my license. Now when I start SuperLab, I get the error message “failed to update user configuration file”. The error log says:

3:14:46 PM: can’t remove file ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\SuperLab.ini’ (error 5: access is denied.)
3:14:46 PM: Failed to update user configuration file.
3:14:46 PM: can’t remove file ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\SuperLab.ini’ (error 5: access is denied.)

Now SuperLab is somewhat unstable, and crashes frequently. Any suggestions?

Robert

These error messages are relatively unimportant and can be ignored. They are unrelated to whatever crashes you are getting.

Can you please describe the crashes you are getting? Do you get a crash report that you can send to us?

crash log

I’ll collect one.

error message

Windows is posting a message “Superlab.exe is not responding”, and when the message is OK’ed, Superlab closes.

Robert

This is a known issue. It’s limited only to Vista. As far as we’re aware, SuperLab has not actually crashed and is running normally; this is just Vista misinterpreting SuperLab’s behavior. We’re looking into the issue, but don’t have a fix for you at the moment.

Thanks

I’m learning to save my work after every step. Thanks.

Robert

After every step? I was under the impression that this only happens while an experiment is running. Is this not the case for you?

Saving often explanation

Hank:

This is what I meant.

Because SuperLab crashes regularly while operating under Vista, I have to save my work very frequently. At first, after a fresh boot, everything goes well. After a certain number of programming steps have been made or the experiment has been run several times, SuperLab gets more unstable. After two crashes, I’ve learned that the computer must be restarted, because if I continue to re-open SuperLab after a crash, the experiment the crashes become more frequent, progressing to the point that the file I’m working on becomes corrupted, and I have to go to the backup. I guess I should have bought Windows XP with the new computer I bought to deal with the hyperthreading problem, as SuperLab wouldn’t run properly with my Pentium M processor, but I didn’t know that SuperLab is unstable with Vista when I bought the new computer. Now I’m living with the unstable SuperLab on Vista.

All it says is “SuperLab.exe is not responding?” Does this happen only while running an experiment? Does it happen when exiting an experiment? Does it happen when canceling? Does SuperLab ever provide an actual crash report? When the experiment is corrupted, did SuperLab crash while saving? We aren’t seeing this message with remotely the frequency that you are.

From the little bit of information you’ve given, your issue sounds like a hardware problem and not a software problem. Under no circumstances should a SuperLab crash require you to reboot Vista. Likewise, the fact that the issue gets worse the longer your machine is up also points to hardware. Have you tried using this computer for other tasks? Do you have crash problems in other programs?

crashes

Once Windows says that SuperLab is no longer responding, I have the choice of letting Windows solve the problem (it doesn’t), or shut down SuperLab. SuperLab generates no log. The computer is new, and basically has little more on in than SuperLab, other than FireFox. No other crashes have occurred on the system. When SuperLab boots, as I mentioned in a previous post, it tells me that I must either delete or save preference files, and I’ve been deleting them.

Robert

Screen saver may be causing some of the crashes

I have learned that if I leave a program open and the Windows screensaver comes on, SuperLab crashes. This may be what is causing at least some of these problems.

Robert

By “program,” do you mean an actively running experiment? When you close the screen saver, is the “crash” immediate?

What version of SuperLab are you using? Is it 4.0.3c?

When SuperLab is open. The cursor goes into wait mode, and when any action is taken the Windows message (SuperLab.exe is not responding) comes up.

I’m using 4.0.3c.

I’ve reinstalled the program, and cleaned out the files that had to be removed manually.
When I first started using this computer, I attempted to install with the CD that originally came when I purchased SuperLab. When I learned of the new update, I installed it over already installed one. Perhaps this caused problems.

It does this as soon as you launch SuperLab? Wow. That’s definitely not supposed to happen. You shouldn’t have any problems installing over top of an existing installation. Likewise, you shouldn’t have to manually remove any files in order to reinstall. This sounds to me like it may be a corrupt install, which is a bad sign on its own.

You can get the latest installer (4.0.4 – released last night) here:
http://community.cedrus.com/showthread.php?t=257

Install

I’ll install the new version and let you know if it helps. I also think the previous install may have been corrupted.

Thanks,

Robert

New version successful

The new version appears to have solved the problem. Thanks.

Robert