EEG and Superlab

I am a first time Superlab user and I have just programmed in my first study using superlab. The on going study I am doing involves using EEG and in the past I have used Presentation software to program my study and set markers for my EEG data. I use a 64 channel EEG produced by bio semi and I use acti view to monitor my signal. After I collect my EEG data I use brain vision analyzer to edit the data. Has anyone used EEG with superlab before? I am unsure of how to use superlab to set markers within my experiment for key events for EEG analysis. Any help that people could provide would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi Ashley,

You can definitely send event markers from SuperLab to BioSemi. You will need an I/O card and a custom cable. If you can wait until January, you can use our soon to be released StimTracker which will have a ready interface to BioSemi.

Once you have decided on the hardware, you send the event markers by creating an event and setting its type to Digital Output.

Hisham.

Hello,

We purchased an I/O card (PCI-DI024) and installed it into our stimulation computer that has superlab software. I installed the corresponding MCC DAQ software from the CD-rom as well. We then purchased a custom cable from our EEG providers (Bio Semi) and connected it to the PCI board and then to the digitazation computer that has our EEG software (Active Two cords and ActiView software).

We have programmed our experiment in Superlab and I am now at a loss as to how we go about sending markers to our EEG. You mentioned setting our event to Digital Output. Does this mean changing our currenttly entered events (some of which are text and others picture file) to digital output? Or creating new events entirely?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashley

This would involve creating a new event. If presenting an image for example, this typically involves setting up the image so that it does not accept input, followed by an event that sends the marker. This second event can then accept the input.

I am still not clear on this. If I want to present an image and have an EEG marker sent once the image becomes visible and an EEG marker sent when the subject makes a response to the image how do I do this?

I am unclear as to how I setup an image so that it does not accept input. Does this mean no response from the participant? Then you said to follow it with an event that sends the marker. Does this mean creating an event that will still show the picture but also send the marker?

The approach that I suggested works only for marking the onset of an image. For marking a participant response, you need to use feedback.

I have attached a sample experiment. It displays a text stimulus and follows it with an event marker to mark the onset. The event “Mark stim onset” also has feedback that sends another event marker when the participant responds.

The experiment will obviously need modification to suit your purpose but it illustrates how it’s done. It’s also done on SuperLab for Mac, so you’ll get a harmless warning when opening it on Windows.

Using Event Markers.sl4 (4.4 KB)

I have attached my current experiment. I tried to follow your example but I am not sure if I have set it up correctly and when I try to run the experiment now that I have created events with digital output it no longer will run. We would like to have EEG markers to mark the beginning of each event (meaning for example within the event of tolerance of ambiguity we would like EEG markers for each separate question listed in the stimulus list used) and also a marker to mark each participant response. Would you mind looking at my experiment and telling me if I have setup my digital output correctly? Also where it says pulse I am not sure what to put. What does this pulse indicate? We use a 64 channel EEG, is this related to what numerical value we put for pulse? Thank you.

Tolerance for Ambiguity.sl4 (67.6 KB)