Issues with Actions

I’m writing an experiment on the effects of a background flash on Inhibition of Return.

To do this, I have two Picture File Events in succession:
Slide 1 (250ms)
Slide 2 (4750ms)
These are the final events in the trial.

I need there to be a participant response functional for both slides, in case the participant responds quicker than 250ms.

If the participant responds during the first slide, I do not want the second slide to be presented.

To do this, I have added a Feedback to Slide 1:

Provide Feedback If:
Reaction time is less than 250ms
What to do:
Skip remaining events and present next trial

However, it doesn’t work: if my reaction time is less than 250ms (i.e., I respond during Slide 1) it collects the data that I want, but then not only does it not skip Slide 2, but sometimes it will even make it so that Slide 2 doesn’t end after a participant response (I have for Input checked “end after participant response” and “end after time limit”).

If I’m going about it wrong, how can I achieve the same effect through different means?

Hi,

Which version of SuperLab are you running?

I’ve recreated your experiment in version 4.0.6 and didn’t run into any problems.
I’ve posted the experiment for you to download in this thread.
Go ahead and download the zip and verify that I’ve recreated your experiment correctly.

Hong

2 slides with feedback less than 250ms.zip (312 KB)

Thanks, Almost?

So this is both weird and frustrating:
I’ve downloaded the experiment that you wrote, and it worked perfectly, even when I added more trials.

In the experiment you wrote, there was one Trial with two events; 1 and 2.

Trial:
asdf

Events:
[x] 1(250ms)
[x] 2(4750ms)

And that worked well. The problem began when I added an event before 1, called 0:

Trial:
asdf

Events:
[x] 0(200ms)
[x] 1(250ms)
[x] 2(4750ms)

As soon as I added event 0, the feedback action no longer worked; a response during 1 did not skip event 2. I further tested this by adding another trial, identical to the previous one:

Trial:
asdf
asdf1

Events:

[x] 0(200ms)
[x] 1(250ms)
[x] 2(4750ms)

And in neither of the trials did a response during event 1 skip the remaining event 2.

Hi,

Okay, I think I know what’s going on.
When you add event 0 and run the experiment, the response timer for event 1 needs to be reset.
If it is not reset, the response timer will be at 200ms ( the time elapsed for event event 0 ) at the start of event 1 giving the participant only 49ms to give a response. Resetting the response timer for event 1 will start the response timer at 0ms giving the full 250ms to the participant before event 2 is presented.

You can reset the response timer by checking the “Reset RT Timer…” box in the Input tab.
This is unchecked by default.

Let us know if this works for you.

Hong

PS: I’ve posted another experiment for you. This time with event 0 added and event 1 resetting the response timer.

3 slides with feedback less than 250ms.zip (257 KB)

Thank you!

Thank you very much; you hit the nail on the head.