Freezing

I just loaded a block of visual only movie files and a second block with audio files using SuperLab 4.0.5. The experiement keeps freezing during the audio files even if I try running just that block. Any advice on how to fix this? BZ

How many movies and sound files do you have, and how big are they? Perhaps it’s a memory related issue.

freezing

Hi - I have 120 movie files and 120 sound files. Each are about 1.5 to 2 sec in length. My computer has lots of memory (I am fairly certain it is 0.99 GB) but I will double check it on Monday. What do you suggest? Perhaps breaking it into smaller blocks or separate experiments?

freezing

I just checked the information on my system in my lab. It is an Intel processor with 4 CPU; 3.00 GHz speed and 0.99 GB of Ram. I tried the experiment again today and it consistently stops after 6 audio presentations. I separated the visual and auditory components into 2 separate experiments and I am having the same problem. I need a solution ASAP so I can continue with my research.
Thank you

Freezing

Thank you Hisham for all of your help!! Changing the audio file to a movie file has worked and all is running smoothly. I was able to shorten some of the audio files (all about 400 MB) after realizing that there were some editing errors made by my lab asst. I assume that all the audio files would now run fine but kept them as movie files since I know it works well.
Thanks again!!

You’re very welcome.

For the benefit of other readers who may not know what Ms. Zupan is talking about, the experiment had some really big sound files, some of them 121MB. It was taking SuperLab a very long time to load the sound file into memory due to its size, hence making it look like it froze.

The solution was to use the Movie event type instead of Audio File. This makes a difference because movies are not pre-loaded into memory, but are played from disk directly. And a sound file is simply a special case of movie without a visual portion.