Font color randomization?

I’m trying to design a Stroop-like experiment that takes advantage of SuperLab’s font color randomization feature. The experiment has five different font color lists for the five word categories I’m using. On the level selection screen I’ve selected ‘Random with no replacement,’ and I’m randomizing before each block. I’ve run the study both with and without the “randomize again” box checked, but it shouldn’t make a difference because the number of levels is identical to the number of trials that use this variable.

The problem I’m having is that when I run the experiment, it appears that the font color levels are being selected WITH replacement. This means that my colors don’t end up balanced. I’ve gone through the archives but haven’t found a relevant post. Any suggestions?

It’s hard to say for certain what’s going on without actually seeing or running the experiment.

If for some reason you are repeating the block after each trial until you get a certain number of trials, then this is the behavior you will see. I’ve taken advantage of this in order to randomize trials with replacement. Otherwise, I think I might have to see the experiment to figure out what’s going on.

I’m using only a single block of 252 trials, except for a one-trial instruction block, with no repetition. However, I am using a high number of font color levels – 84 in the maximum case. I wonder if this may be the source of the problem.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but I’m fairly new to this type of forum. Were you indicating that you would like me to send a copy of my experiment? (And if so, how would I do that?)

I’ve never used that many font color levels, so I don’t know if it’s a problem (shouldn’t be).

I’ll send you my e-mail address, where you can privately send your experiment.