method of adjustment with audio

Hello,

I am having trouble with my experiment and am hoping you can help me. We are trying to get this set up for a big data collection next week, so any quick help you all can provide me will be much appreciated.

Attached you will find my experiment package. This is a method of adjustment experiment in which participants are presented with nonsense audio phrases and asked to manually adjust the face morphs to match the tone of the audio. I am able to get everything to work, but cannot get it to equally present both the angry and neutral audio in a randomized manner. For instance, over the course of 10 trials, it will sometimes present the angry audio clip 4 times and the neutral one 6 times. I have tried making rules, using counter parameters, and changing feedback to increase the increments, but I just cannot seem to get it to work. Any help you all can provide me?

Also, the next step is to add another individual face (e.g. another identity) to the same experiment. I am assuming I should do another block just for her face stimuli (with 25 morph images included). How should I randomize which block identity is presented? The same audio files should be used for both blocks.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance with this issue.

Ohio_data_collection_experiment_draft.zip (3.15 MB)

This would not be a difficult problem if it weren’t for the complexity of your experiment. As a result, you have to utilize more roundabout solutions. Please take a look at the attached experiment.

If you know how many trials you are presenting and that you have 2 presentable stimuli, then you can limit the stimuli from randomly presenting to half of the amount of trials.

For example, presenting either an angry or neutral tone before 10 trials means that each is presented 5 times. So then, at first, present them randomly; but when one stimulus reaches 5 presentations, then only present the other.

Let me know if this is not suitable for your experiment.

evenlyRandom.sl5 (5.12 KB)

Thank you!

Thank you so much! After adding your rules for the sound files and a bit of tweaking with my “done” trial settings, I was able to get everything to run perfectly. I really appreciate your time and efforts on my behalf.

Kindest Regards,

Fakhri Shafai

Follow-up assistance

Thank you all for your help with my first question regarding the method of adjustment with audio. My supervisor now wants me to try and get all four expression morphs, along with their respective audio clips, to be randomized all within the same experiment. For instance:

Angry audio clip —> randomly chosen morph along Neutral to Angry continuum —> participant adjusts to match angry tone and presses 0 to move to the next trial
Happy audio clip —> randomly chosen morph along Neutral to Happy continuum ----> participant adjusts to match happy tone and presses 0 to move to the next trial
Disgusted audio clip —> randomly chosen morph along Neutral to Disgust continuum ----> participant adjusts to match disgust tone and presses 0 to move to the next trial
Sad audio clip —> randomly chosen morph along Neutral to Sad continuum ----> participant adjusts to match sad tone and presses 0 to move to the next trial
Neutral audio clip —> will occur 5 times for each of the above expression morph continuum types —> participant adjusts to match neutral tone and presses 0 to move to the next trial

Audio and their respective expression morph presentations should be random (e.g. angry could be followed by sad, then another sad, then happy, then disgust, then happy again, etc.)

For each of these four possible expression morphs, there should be 5 audio clips with the emotion, and 5 without (so 20 total times that neutral will play throughout the experiment, but only 5 of each of the other audio clips)

Altogether there should be 40 times the participant selects 0 indicating that they have matched the expression morph to the tone.

I have included experiment packages for each of these individual expression experiments. When I tried to combine them so that they were each a block within a larger experiment, I could not get it to randomly choose one expression block. Instead, it would just go in order. Or, it would combine the audio all into one section before displaying an expression morph. I am at a loss here and am wondering if it is possible to do my supervisor’s request or if we have to keep these as separate experiments?

Please let me know if it is feasible to meet his request, and if so, how I should go about doing it. We are trying to run this experiment later this week, so any quick reply would be ideal.

Thank you for your time and assistance with this matter. I greatly appreciate it.

Ohio_data_collection_experiment_Disgusted.zip (5.93 MB)

Ohio_data_collection_experiment_Angry.zip (5.86 MB)

Ohio_data_collection_experiment_Happy.zip (5.88 MB)

Ohio_data_collection_experiment_Sad.zip (5.9 MB)

We can create a counter with a minimum and maximum value that gets randomized at the end of each block. Each value will correspond to a certain emotion. Create a rule that presents a specific block depending on the counter’s randomized value.

We utilized this method in the experiment that I’ve previously attached, except on a smaller scale.