two responses for one event

hello I need help.

I need two separate responses based on an event using stimulus lists. I cannot figure out how to indicate what is a correct response because the correctness of the second response depends on which video is taken from the stimulus list in the first event.

This is my paradigm: In one trial there are two events. In the first event a video plays. The response required is for the participant to stop the video by pressing the mouse. The amount of time elapsed before the participant stops the video is recorded. In the second event, a grid of answers appear. The response is that the participant chooses what they saw in the previous event’s video by clicking on the correct answer option.

The problem is that I am using a stimulus list to show the videos in the first event. The correct response in the second event depends on which video was shown in the first event. Can I somehow use tags in the first event to say what the correct option is in the second event?

Thanks

Yes, you can. Take a look at the attached experiment. Within the trial, there is an event that presents from a stimulus list. These stimulus list items are tagged by their associated correct response. The next event simply lets the participant click on a certain response area.

The key component is the trial’s rules. It checks the presented stimulus list item’s tag and compares it to the participant’s response. If there’s a match, then feedback is presented and a text parameter is set to CORRECT for coding purposes.

Is this a solution to your problem?

variableCorrectAnswer.sl5 (5.47 KB)

Hi Arman
Thank you so much for your help. However, the experiment that you posted has a problem similar to the one that I have. I have already been using tags to indicate the correct response for the second event. However, when I purposely choose the wrong answer to double check what it looks like in the data file, the error codes do not indicate that it was an incorrect response. Your sample experiment also has this problem. For example, I took your sample experiment and purposely choose the wrong answer for all the events but the data file indicates that I chose the correct answer for all events.

Additionally, there are a few differences between your experiment and mine. Instead of playing the video for a set amount of time, my video has to go away after a mouse click from the participant. Also your second response event (called “response”) only allows for a correct response to be made. In mine, I need the event to end after any response, but the data files needs to be able to differentiate between correct and incorrect areas. I don’t know if these details help at all, but we both still have the problem where incorrect area selections are not reflected in the data file.

Thanks,
Rebecca

Hi Arman
Thank you so much for your help. However, the experiment that you posted has a problem similar to the one that I have. I have already been using tags to indicate the correct response for the second event. However, when I purposely choose the wrong answer to double check what it looks like in the data file, the error codes do not indicate that it was an incorrect response. Your sample experiment also has this problem. For example, I took your sample experiment and purposely choose the wrong answer for all the events but the data file indicates that I chose the correct answer for all events.

Additionally, there are a few differences between your experiment and mine. Instead of playing the video for a set amount of time, my video has to go away after a mouse click from the participant. Also your second response event (called “response”) only allows for a correct response to be made. In mine, I need the event to end after any response, but the data files needs to be able to differentiate between correct and incorrect areas. I don’t know if these details help at all, but we both still have the problem where incorrect area selections are not reflected in the data file.

Thanks,
Rebecca

I only created a rule that checks for correct responses. However, you can create another rule with almost identical criteria to check and code for incorrect responses. Instead of checking for tag/response matches, check for tag/response mismatches.

I’ve done this for you and attached the experiment to this post. I’ve also removed the time limit on the pseudo-Video events to better simulate your actual video events.

variableCorrectAnswer.sl5 (5.65 KB)

Question About Response and Error Code

Hi Arman,
Thank you for your help. I will try to follow your sample and I think it will work. Just out of curiosity though, why could you not edit the error code to reflect incorrect answers? Making separate rules for response codes does work, but it just seems odd to do if the error code could be edited.

You are very welcome.

As for your question, there is built-in functionality that controls how error codes are written to the data file. Aside from setting certain responses as correct or incorrect, users have little control of this process. The rules become a necessary workaround when the correct response mechanism becomes a bit complex, such as requiring variable correct responses for a given event.