Having problems with digital output

Hello there,

I am having a problem with setting three different kinds of digital outputs in my task-switching paradigm.

To explain shortly about the task before anything, it’s deciding whether the number given is more/less than 5 OR the number given is even/odd.

The change of this criterion is indicated by the rectangle surrounding the number.

I am planning to do an ERP analysis on

1. pre-switching trials(1st,2nd,3rd trials before rule change(rectangle))
  2. switching trial itself (rectangle one)
  3. post-switching trials (1st,2nd,3rd trials after the rule change(rectangle))

regardless of the changing criterion.

but this stimulus grouping(stimulus list) makes it harder to set digital outputs into certain trials inside the list

I have attached my file as it is complex to say it into words. (I also included the schematic of the experimental paradigm)

Thanks in advance.

taskswitching forum (2).zip (350 KB)

Create a tag set for your stimulus list items; then, within the respective trial’s rules, depending on which tag is set - i.e. which list item was presented - you can present a certain digital output event.

I have created three different kinds of tags (Pre-Switch, On Switch, Post-switch) and have tagged them to the matching ones in each stimulus list.

However, the tags keep changing (ex. I have set three post-switches but when I close the setting window, it changes to four post-switches automatically)

So sometimes, four digital outputs pops out and I cannot figure out the reason.

That is my first problem with the experiment.

The second problem is digital outputs don’t show up when it is supposed to.
The digital output comes out one event earlier than it is supposed to be.

I would like to get help on this one as it is important/urgent to me. Thanks in advance!

Below is the Attachment!

task.zip (317 KB)

Before we continue exploring tag sets as a solution, please look at the attached experiment. I have moved your digital output events to the top of the event section and linked them to your trials before the presentation of your stimuli.

As far as I understand your experiment, this method works. Take a look at it; if it doesn’t satisfy your requirements, please explain why.

digitalOutputs.zip (122 KB)

digital output / setting rules?

I am sorry for my poor explanation. Unfortunately it didn’t solve my problem.

To put it very simple, I want two kinds of digital outputs to be set on time.

Digital Output A and Digital Output B.

so for every first three numbers between changes, I want to set digital output A
for every last three numbers between changes, I want digital output B to come out.

A-A-A-x-x-B-B-B-“change”-A-A-A-x-x-x-x-x-B-B-B-“change” and so on.

I have done tagging stimulus lists with digital outputs and setting rules in trial windows, However, the digital output doesn’t come out at the right time (I have tried moving digital outputs to upwards as you told me)

So basically the digital output A starts at the “second” A not the first!

Please help me out on this one and remind me how it is done!

Thanks in advance. I very much appreciate it!

block4 (2).zip (410 KB)

Thank you for clarifying. I have adjusted your experiment appropriately. See the attachment.

In each list, I’ve tagged the first two items as post and the three items before the last as pre. Change trials should be presenting post rather than change digital outputs; you can see that tags are not necessary to send change digital output because you can do so using the standard linking method.

tagsAndOutputs.zip (128 KB)

tagging problem

Thank you so much for your support. You have solved my problem I’ve dealing with for few weeks…

Though, I have another problem that came up and I am hoping this will be the last.

In the file you have attached, if you look into stimulus list items in ‘lm4’ for example, the numbers are mostly in size order.

I manually randomized the lm4 items in the list item tab
and tried to re-tag them to fit into my experiment.

However, in the process of canceling and re-tagging, the “already canceled tags” keep coming back to the original settings.

How could I solve this?
I appreciate it. Thank you!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

A workaround can be to create another tag for the Pre or Post set called “none”. Rather than cancelling the tag, select “none”. This should suffice because your rules only respond to the “pre” and “post” tags.

I solved the problem. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

I solved the problem. Thank you very much. I appreciate it.

Delays in digital output

I am having a problem with my digital outputs again in this paradigm. What is different from last time is that four different kinds of ISI types were added to the rules. and I am assuming that this rule change has caused the delay in the digital outputs.

I have set my digital output as told. and it doesn’t work right.
How do I solve this?

I appreciate it very much.

digital output delay.zip (441 KB)

Look at the order of your rules. Currently, you are sending the digital output for the next event before you present the ISI. Are you sure you don’t want the reverse order?

If this isn’t the case, I will need more information about how the digital outputs aren’t working right.

You’re right. I thought the orders of rules wouldn’t matter if the rules are once applied. Sorry about that.

Although, I have one more question to ask.

When presenting two different kinds of digital outputs simultaneously for one event, there seems to be a very small delay. Is this unavoidable?

Thank in advance.

Correct, this small delay cannot be decreased.

To measure its duration, you can compare the values in the “Cumulative Time” column of the experiment’s data file.