How to show participant´s input to them?

Hi,
I would like to ask.
In Superlab 5, is there a possibility to save text response of participant (their input) in one trial and show it to them in next trials in a similar manner as their name can be shown to them? Can this be achieved by parameters? If yes, could you please explain to me how specifically can this be done? (as I’m struggling with it for a while).

First, make sure your experiment allows String Input as a response. Click Experiment > Participant Input > Keyboard-String Input.

Now, create a text parameter. Set feedback for an event to store participant’s typed text into the parameter, as shown below:

To display the value of this parameter, open the editor for an event that is presented in a later trial. In the Stimulus tab, click Insert Parameter and select the parameter that you desire to display.

$(Parameter Name) should appear in the text box. This will display the specified parameter value upon running your experiment.

Take a look at the attached experiment for a simple example of storing and displaying participant input.

participantInput.sl5 (3.81 KB)

Dear Arman,
thank you very much.

Best regards, PK

I´d like to do something similar and run into a problem.

In Event 1 we present a sentence where two words are left blank (Blank1 and Blank2). The participant´s task is to fill in each of the blanks, one by one. As a response in event 1, the participant types in a string for Blank1 which is stored as a “text parameter”. Then the stimulus in Event 2 includes the original sentence, now with Blank1 replaced by “$(text parameter)” so that the participant´s response fills in the Blank1. As a response in Event 2, the particant types in a string for Blank2. This is where I run into a problem: The participant´s response to Blank2 should then be stored as “parameter text”, but that is already in use to fill in Blank1 as part of the stimulus for this event.

Do you have any suggestion for how to get around this problem?

Thanks you,
dmb

Hello dmb.

In your case, you should try creating two text parameters. The response to the first event will be stored in the first parameter and the response to the second event will be stored in the second parameter. Then, you can present both parameter values within a single event.

Hi Arman, Thank you for your fast response.
Yes, that is exactly what I´m trying to do, but I haven´t figured out how to. Would you any tips?

That is to say, I haven´t figured out how to define text parameters so that more than one can be used.
dmb

All parameters are created through the same process. With SuperLab open, click the Experiment menu and select Parameters….

Then, click the plus next to the drop-down arrow and select Text, like so:

You can now create your second text parameter.

You can find this information - as well as other core lessons - in the SuperLab 5 manual at:

http://cedrus.com/superlab/manual/

Thank you. My apologies, I had´t seen that the new version of the manual was available. Now I´ve gone through it. It´s a nice update.

One last question:
Following your “participant input” example, I set up a mini experiment with the following events where A - D are test parameters:

• Elicit and store input A
  • Display input A; elicit and store input B
  • Display input AB; elicit and store input C
  • Display input ABC; elicit and store input D
  • Display input ABCD
    I would have liked this series of events in a single trial, but that does´t seem to work in my mini-experiment or in the “participant input” putting all the events in a single trial.

Do you know what might be getting in the way of it working or how it might be done?

Thank you again for your helpful assistance!

SuperLab stores participant’s typed text between trials. This explains why your experiment doesn’t work as expected.

However, we can still create the design that you speak of if we take advantage of Looping and Rules.

I have created and attached such a design to this post. Go ahead and take a look at it, especially the notes that I have written within.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Parameters.sl5 (5.29 KB)