Recognition memory paradigm needed

Hello,

One my Research Methods students wants to do a simple recognition memory study where she presents one at a time a list of words, randomly selected from a larger pool of words, to a participant. Then, later, she wants to present the participant with another list of randomly selected words (half new, half old) for a speeded yes/no recognition test (along with confidence rating).

Our department has SuperLab 5 but I have not programmed any studies with it (or with any version of SuperLab). Can anyone share with me a similar study that I can modify? The student would like to complete the study this semester and I’m afraid that by the time I develop a program from scratch, it will be too late to help her.

I would really appreciate any help that this group can offer! The student is really motivated and I want to help her the best I can. Over the winter break, I clearly have to teach myself how to use SuperLab so that I can better help all my students!

(Sorry for the cross-posting. I first posted under “Lounge”, realized that it was in wrong place, and now can’t delete that one…)

Thanks,
Jackie.

The experiment that you are describing would be a breeze to setup in our upcoming SuperLab 6. One of the main new features in SuperLab 6 is sublists, and this feature is already implemented and ready to use.

The beauty of this new feature is that once you have created a sublist, it can be used anywhere in SuperLab where you can use a regular list. So there would be nothing new to learn.

I love that your student is motived. Would you or her be willing to use a beta test version of SuperLab 6 and let us know if you run into any bugs?

Thanks for the response Hisham!

I’ve cobbled together a version of the experiment that the student want to run in SuperLab 5, but it is not pretty…

I’d be happy to try and create a proper version of the experiment in SuperLab 6 over the winter break. Given how new I am to programming in SuperLab, however, I’m not sure that I’d recognize a bug if I saw it…most problems I would run into would be due to my lack of experience.

Recognizing a bug would be fairly easy: it’s anytime where the program does not behave as you thought it should, and it’s not a misunderstanding. One of our developers will be in touch with you soon via email.

Meanwhile, here’s a preview of that that feature looks like:

Hi Jackie,

I just sent you a private forum message with links to download the SuperLab 6 preview edition.

Once you download it, here is an experiment to demonstrate the Sublists feature. (see attached ‘*.sl5’ file)

This experiment contains a single “master list” of 26 animals (one for each letter A-Z).

• Block one shows 10 random animal names.
  • Block two also shows 10 names, randomized, but such that 5 names are new and 5 are repeated from block one.

The bulk of the setup is done on the Sublists tab shown in the photo posted previously by Hisham. Once the Sublists are configured, simply attach one to each event using the Event Editor.

I have used a change in text color and a change in font to help make it easy to observe what is happening.

My strange font and color changes would not be desirable in a real experiment. They are only for demonstration’s sake.

This experiment must be opened in SuperLab 6. If you see the warning shown below, then stop! You have opened the file in SuperLab 5 instead of 6.

Happy winter break!

sublists_requires_sl6_preview.sl5 (11.3 KB)