Touch screen not working

I set up an experiment in which subjects use a mouse to click on specific regions of the screen. I am trying to convert this experiment to use the touch screen on a new laptop (Sony Yoga 2 pro) so that subjects touch regions on the screen instead of click on regions. The experiment does not work on my new laptop when I touch the regions, but does work when I click on the regions with the touchpad or a mouse. I created a new experiment in case the problem was that I converted from Superlab 4.5 (old laptop) to 5 (new laptop). The new experiment was a single screen with two regions. Touching the regions still did not work but clicking on the regions did work. When I previewed the regions (from the Experiment, Participant Input menu), touching the regions works (the preview screen disappears). I’m not sure what I am doing wrong.

In addition, the screen resolution is so high that some screens don’t appear properly. For example, on the screen where input regions are made, the boxes for indicating X and Y coordinates for the screen regions are so narrow that I can’t read what is in the boxes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Hi Gary,

(as you might already know…) The usual behavior of Microsoft Windows and touch screens is this: the Microsoft operating system sends to the app (sends to SuperLab) a “Left Mouse Button Down” signal when a screen tap occurs.

Considering what the usual expected behavior is, and considering what you are experiencing instead, this all leads me to wondering about the following:

~ Does the Yoga 2 laptop model somehow come configured for a behavior other than the “tap-is-synonymous-with-left-click” behavior?

~ Is there something about how you touch the screen on an experiment that is signalling something else (like perhaps a “drag” or “pinch” action) instead of a “tap”?

~ Is there something about your system setup or operating system version that changes the “tap-is-synonymous-with-left-click” behavior?

I am glad you included the information that touching the screen does appear to work during Preview. However, the contrast in behavior between the Preview screen and the running experiment is not enough to lead me straight to a diagnosis just yet.

Please let me know the following information so I can research this issue further:

1. What is the precise version of SuperLab 5 being used? 5.0.0? 5.0.3? 5.0.4? (You can find the precise version in the “About” menu.)

2. What exact version of Windows operating system is being used?

3. (just to be certain), did the old laptop have a touch screen? (I am guessing that it did not, but i would like to confirm my understanding.)

4. Can you attach a sample sl5 experiment file to this forum thread? Attach any experiment you have that is failing to respond to a tap when you run the experiment.

There is one other question I have, and it relates to the “matrix” of possibilities that you have tried, by testing on various combinations of old-laptop/new-laptop and old-superlab/new-superlab. There is one combination that would be particularly interesting, and I do not believe you have commented on this combo yet:

1. Have you tried running SuperLab 4.5 on the new laptop? (old-superlab & new-laptop)

Even if you have no remaining 4.5 licenses, you could download 4.5 in 30-day trial mode (from here: http://www.superlab.com/v4/downloadit.htm ), and try to create a touch screen experiment in 4.5 on the new Yoga laptop. The outcome of this could be instructive.

Finally, I would see if you can achieve any change in behavior by manipulating your Control Panel settings. On the windows Control Panel, you should be able to search for:

“Pen and Touch” settings.
“Press and Hold” settings.

Perhaps adjusting the speed and sensitivity for certain touch gestures might make a difference? The problem may indeed run deeper than a simple fix to the settings, but it is worth trying.

I have not forgotten the second issue that was raised. Thank you for pointing out the screen resolution issue that causes the text-entry fields for X and Y coordinates for the screen regions to become severely narrow. We will look into this.

out of town

Thanks for the response. I am out of town until August 20. I’ll try your suggestions when i return. In the meantime, can you send me a sample program that does work on your computer? My old laptop does not have a touchscreen.

Meanwhile, we have went ahead and ordered a Surface Pro 3 so we can double-check touch screen features.

Update: We have managed to duplicate the issue and are working on a fix.

Follow-up

I noticed that Hisham said he could duplicate the problem using a surface 3. I need to purchase new computers soon, so I am wondering if you have made any progress with the problem and have any suggestions/requirement about touch screen properties.

In an earlier post you asked what version of superlab I am using. I was using 5.0.4.
You also asked what version of Windows I am using. I am using using windows 8.1 version 6.1.

Windows 8 is new to me and I don’t yet know how to find or adjust the touch screen properties in terms of whether a touch equals a click.

SuperLab 5.0.5 is coming out in time for Christmas, :slight_smile: and will fix this issue.

This issue has been in fixed in SuperLab 5.0.5.