image presentation experiment help

hello
here is my research situation - I will be working with 6 year old children and need to be very clear. I am very new to Superlab and presentation softwares and apologise for my very basic questions

1 block of 15 pictures presented across 2 practice runs and 3 real trials
1 x block of 7 pictures presented across 2 practice runs and 3 real trials
1 x block of 7 pictures presented across 2 practice runs and 3 real trials
1 x block of 15 pictures presented across 2 practice runs and 3 real trials

no correct answer - just want participants to select one picture.

would it be better to set up the practice runs and the real trials as separate blocks with separate instructions for each? I want the instructions and the trial runs at the start of each separate block and am not sure how that would work with randomisation.

Also, would I need to have the images ready in a folder prior to setting up the experiment, or can I link the experiment to an empty folder? The issue is, I will be morphing a picture of each participant the day of the experiment and I am hoping I don’t have to set up the experiment every time I want to use it!

Is it possible to set up a stimulus list of images to use per event?
Thanks
Ahona

Would it be better to set up the practice runs and the real trials as separate blocks with separate instructions for each? I want the instructions and the trial runs at the start of each separate block and am not sure how that would work with randomization.

It depends if the “practice runs” and the “real trials” need to be randomized. If this is the case then they need to be in the same block, otherwise they can be in separate blocks. However, the instructions do need to be in a separate block to keep from being randomized.

In regards to your question about the folders, in SuperLab you cannot link to an empty folder. A suggestion is to create picture files that are placeholders for the morphed faces. Create as many placeholders as there are morphed photos, for example, “morph1.png”, “morph2.png”, and so on.

Then, create the SuperLab experiment so that it’s configured to use those files. When you create the pictures you want, do a “Save As” in whatever the image editor was and save the morphed faces overwriting that exact same file location “morph1.png”, “morph2.png”.

Is it possible to set up a stimulus list of images to use per event?

Yes, we encourage the use of stimulus lists wherever possible.