XID accessory connector for participant input?

Hi, I just installed SL 4.0.5 (I was waiting until we finished running a long–400+ Ss!–experiment that we had started with 4.0.3), and was initially please to see that the XID accessory connectors are available for use. Some time ago, I was frustrated in that I couldn’t use the accessory inputs on our SV-1s for external pushbutton responses.

I haven’t actually hooked one up to play with yet, but in looking through the Participant Input menus, it appears that in fact, it still isn’t possible to do what I need. Even after specifying that the accessory pins are to be configured as “additional inputs”, they do not appear in the list of responses.

Just based on the menus, is it the case that with an SV-1, a “Voice Key Reponse” is a response either from the voice key or from any one of the accessory inputs (assuming they are in input mode)? I could probably live with that, although it would be better to have control over each input line and the voice key as a logically independent reponse.

Greg Shenaut

Greg,

XID input is still work in progress. The dialog that you saw is a step in that direction. Next, the “Response Editor” needs to be modified to allow the user to create input responses from the Accessory Connector, plus a couple of other steps as well.

Sorry for the delay…

Hisham.

OK

I was excited for a moment there.

I was also intrigued by the ability to transmit strings out a serial port. I suppose that that method could be used to configure an XID device, although I don’t see any way to create an interactive dialog with response sequences from the device. Obviously, it could also be used to control or configure any kind of external device with a serial interface.

The example in the menu is an AT modem dial prefix. Is the serial port output function intended to be used for remote access of… something?

Greg

Serial Output

Hi Greg,

Controlling XID devices by sending strings via serial output is not recommended. The serial port output function is meant to control any device that can accept serial port input, e.g. the Arrington Research ViewPoint eye tracker.

Hisham