Crashes after 20-30 movie trials

Hello,

I have a script that plays two movie files per trial. I am using Superlab 4.5 and have tried on various versions of Windows, but each time the program crashes after a variable number (usually around 30) of trials. Depending on the computer I run the program on, it either closes Superlab completely, or the movies will start being played in separate Active Movie Window popups.

Does this sound like a memory issue? I have tried running the program also on a demo version of Superlab 5.0, but it stops running after 15-20 trials (doesn’t crash, just exits)- I don’t know whether this is a restriction placed by the demo version, but the number of trials it plays seems to vary each time I run it.

Please help!

Thanks
Katherine

I’m glad we talked on the phone. Please let me know if you run into other issues.

Hi Hisham, thanks for your help- it fixed my problem!

Katherine

Dear Hisham,
Would you provide the solution publically if possible?
I’m using both 4 and 5, but nowadays, 4 crashes in OS X 10.8 (latest updated) with Nvidia 680 for mac graphics card with both os x default and nvidia graphics driver.

Sometimes we take discussion off the forum and use the phone because it’s a lot more interactive and the problem can be troubleshooted a lot quicker. But quite honestly, I don’t remember exactly what the issue was.

But generally, these two guidelines would solve a lot of movie-related questions:

• Each movie event should be in a separate trial. A stimulus list will do this automatically for you. Do not put 5-100 movie events all linked to one trial.
  • Avoid the option “Allow movie to continue playing until it ends on its own” (it was renamed to “Never stop it” in version 5). The only reason to use that is to play two media files simultaneously, which is rare. The option to “Stop movie when trial ends” works well in most situations.
I hope this helps.

I think the problem was that I was ending the trial before the movie had ended on some trials, meaning that I movie windows remaining open and overloading the memory. From what i remember, the main fix was changing the ‘Presentation Options’ in movie settings from “Allow movie to finish on its own” to “Wait to movie to finish before ending…” I have this set to ‘trial’ but I think either trial or event worked.

Katherine

[QUOTE=krnaish;6988]I think the problem was that I was ending the trial before the movie had ended on some trials, meaning that I movie windows remaining open and overloading the memory. From what i remember, the main fix was changing the ‘Presentation Options’ in movie settings from “Allow movie to finish on its own” to “Wait to movie to finish before ending…” I have this set to ‘trial’ but I think either trial or event worked.

Katherine[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hisham and Katherine : )