Stimulus display help

Hi, I am building an experiment and as this is my first time using Superlab I would require some professional help.

I need to present stimuli in the form of .jpg images on a computer screen one after the other along the locations of a clock face (e.g 1 o’clock 2 o’clock etc). After reading the manual i managed to create a stimulus list with all my images but I am unable to create an event that will allow me to use the stimulus list i created.

My experiment has 3 conditions:

The first condition is a random presentation condition where I will need to present the images one by one randomly at locations of the ‘clock face’

The second condition requires the stimulus to be presented at a random point of the clock face, and then subsequent images are to be presented at the next clockwise position.Thus, the images will appear to be presented in a circular motion along the clock face.

The final condition is the most complicated, the image is to be presented at a random point and then subsequent images are to be presented at the next clockwise position for between 4-6 positions (i want Superlab to randomly decide how many positions to present stimuli for) before jumping to another random position on the clock face and then beginning the cycle once again.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated

I have posted a small sample experiment to help illustrate the steps. First, I would suggest using Trial Variables for Screen Location, found under the Experiment menu. For your first condition use the Level Selection “Random with No Replacement”.

For your Clockwise condition use the “Sequential” Level Selection.

Once you have created all your Trial Variables, go into the Event Editor where you have your stimulus lists and select the Settings tab. From the Settings tab, choose Position. Here you will change it to “Variable” under The position of the picture is. Then select the correct Trial Variable you have created for that specific condition.

Clock_Sample.sl4 (5.18 KB)

[QUOTE=MonikaT;4994]I have posted a small sample experiment to help illustrate the steps. First, I would suggest using Trial Variables for Screen Location, found under the Experiment menu. For your first condition use the Level Selection “Random with No Replacement”.

For your Clockwise condition use the “Sequential” Level Selection.

Once you have created all your Trial Variables, go into the Event Editor where you have your stimulus lists and select the Settings tab. From the Settings tab, choose Position. Here you will change it to “Variable” under The position of the picture is. Then select the correct Trial Variable you have created for that specific condition.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick reply, ill have a go at this. Im still at a loss as to how to create the final condition.

Also-I need to create a test phase after I have presented the stimuli to test item recognition and item location accuracy. What would be the best way to go about this?

Again, thanks for the help it is much appreciated

For your second condition it’s best not to use the Trial Variable option, but rather create fixed positions. You will need 12 trials with each trial having four events linked that display four sequential positions. Randomize at the block level and this will determine which position gets displayed first.

For your final condition, create additional sets of trials that have five and six events as well. You can reuse the events with the same fixed positions. Copy and paste your trials to save time.

I hate to be the annoying poster but could you explain that again in a simpler way? I’ve been trying to figure out what you mean for the past two days lol. Thanks

Start by creating an experiment that has 12 trials where:

• Trial 1 would display the stimulus at the 1, 2, 3, and 4 o'clock positions.
  • Trial 2 would display the stimulus at the 2, 3, 4, and 5 o'clock positions.
and so forth..

Once created you need to randomize trials within the block, which is done in the Block Editor.

[QUOTE=MonikaT;5023]Start by creating an experiment that has 12 trials where:

• Trial 1 would display the stimulus at the 1, 2, 3, and 4 o'clock positions.
  • Trial 2 would display the stimulus at the 2, 3, 4, and 5 o'clock positions.
and so forth..

Once created you need to randomize trials within the block, which is done in the Block Editor.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your help so far. I’ve been trying to create multiple test phases after all the stimuli has been presented. Specifically I want to present the participant with two stimuli pictures simultaneously(one will have been showed in the study phase whereas the other will be a new picture). The participant will then click on which picture they recognise. THen the participant will ideally be taken to a new black screen and then they will be required to click on which position on the ‘clock’ they think the image is at. I have a .jpg image of a circle (attached) which I could put at the same pixel locations that I presented the images and have that image at all 12 positions and have the participant click on the image for their answer. I would like to record all responses and for the process to be continuous regardless of whether the answers are correct or not.

How would I go about doing this bearing in mind the fact that I have a random presentation condition as well as a condition that varies its presentation order thus, no two ‘cycles’ are the same.

Thanks again

Circle.jpg

When you are presenting your images simultaneously, are they side by side, or on positions of the clock? Also for the black screen, is it completely black or is the clock being displayed here?

Ideally it would be great if you can post a drawing of what this is supposed to look like.

With the new release of SuperLab 5 you can build this experiment much easier. You can also accomplish all your conditions with no limitations.