Conditional branching question

Hi there (again),

I have another question…

This is our design:
Step one:
In our experiment, our participants need to recognise someone else from a lineup consisting of 6 faces (including the person who needs to be recognised).
Step two:
After this, our participants need to answer a question about their decision (regardless of what their decision was).
Step three:
After this, our participants have to be branched, based on their answer for Step One. They will now be asked a set of questions; there are two sets of questions, and each set contains different questions. The questions are tailored to the two different types of responses that the participant could give in Step one. So the one group of participants, who gave one particular reponse, gets a set of questions, and the other group of participant, who responded differently, gets a different set of questions. I created a stimulus list for this.
The order of the questions in each set needs to be randomised.

Originally, I set up a trial which has the following event: Lineup. I coded a correct and incorrect response, and in the ‘Feedback’ tab, I specified that if the response was correct, then the following two events must happen: Step Two, and Step 3 - set a. And if the response was incorrect, then Step Two and Step 3 - set b would occur. But I have noticed that (1) Step Two occurs, and (3) ONLY ONE stimulus item from my stimulus set (Step 3 - set a or b) is presented.

The other problem that I have noticed is if I run my stimulus list, linked to trial which comes immediately after the lineup trial, it is not being presented randomly - despite selecting this option.

Any advice, pls? :slight_smile:

I would suggest setting up the experiment a little differently.

• First is to have have each set up question in their own block. Then, under the block level you can [B]Randomize the trials in the block[/B].
  • For the line up events you should create a code with two values, possibly "Answer 1" and "Answer 2". Then attach the codes accordingly to the questions.
  • A macro also needs to be created to look for the last trial and the code that trial had.

Hi Monika,

thanks so much for your response. I’ve managed to do Step 1 and Step 2, but I am unsure about Step 3. Makros are only used ofr blcoks, right ? So how would I get the makro to be dependent on the last trial, which occurred previously in a separate block ?

If you look through Chapter 6 of our SuperLab manual, it will explain how this can be done. It is also very helpful in learning what else macros can achieve in your experiment.