Repeat and Random presentation of a word

Hi,

I am new to Superlab and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. How do I present a list of words, each word set to either be presented 3 times or 30 times randomly. This is then followed by the presentation of a picture. I am having difficulty setting up the macro for presenting the word repeatedly (either 3 or 30 times) but in a random order.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

For a start, I tried to just make the word list repeat 3 times following the instructions in this post:
http://community.cedrus.com/showthread.php?t=983&highlight=repeat+trials
and it won’t run. Can someone please help?

This cannot be done if you want SuperLab to choose at random which word to present 3 or 30 times. However, if you want to choose ahead of time what words are to presented 3 or 30 times, it can be done. Please see the attached sample experiment. It utilizes the When to present tab within the Trial Editor. Also, a macro was created to repeat the block.

Thread 1273.sl4 (5.38 KB)

Hi Monika,

Your help is greatly appreciated! I tried to follow the settings in the example you provided but it did not quite work the way I want it. Please see attached for the experiment package. Say, for example, I would like Superlab to randomly present a list of words OR a list of numbers followed by a picture. If the word is chosen by Superlab to be presented, the SAME word has to be presented 3 times followed by the picture. If the number is chosen by Superlab to be presented, the SAME number has to be presented 5 times followed by the picture.

E.g. Trial 1 - ‘Happy’ --> ‘Happy’ -->‘Happy’ --> Picture
Trial 2 - ‘Angry’ --> '‘Angry’ -->‘Angry’ --> Picture
Trial ‘3’ - ‘3’ -->‘3’ -->‘3’–>‘3’ --> Picture

Is this possible in Superlab?

Thank you.

In the example you posted below, Trial 1 will present “Happy” 3 times consecutively before presenting the picture. This is doable in SuperLab but it seems different from the original question about presenting pictures 3 or 30 times. Where does the 30 figure in the trial presentation?

Repeat and Random Presentation of a word

Hi Monika,

Thanks for looking into this. My sincere apologies for the confusion. I would still like the word to be randomly presented either 3 or 30 times but I figured it is easier to test it at 5 times using a sample experiment. If the sample experiment works, I can always adjust it to display 30 times instead of 5. Also, to distinguish between the two lists presented, I made one list present Words and another list present Numbers instead…this can easily be changed once the sample experiment works.

To re-iterate, my requirements are as above:
"Say, for example, I would like Superlab to randomly present a list of words OR a list of numbers followed by a picture. If the word is chosen by Superlab to be presented, the SAME word has to be presented 3 times followed by the picture. If the number is chosen by Superlab to be presented, the SAME number has to be presented 5 times followed by the picture.

E.g. Trial 1 - ‘Happy’ --> ‘Happy’ -->‘Happy’ --> Picture
Trial 2 - ‘Angry’ --> '‘Angry’ -->‘Angry’ --> Picture
Trial 3 - ‘3’ - ‘3’ -->‘3’ -->‘3’–>‘3’ --> Picture
Trial 4 - ‘Sad’–> ‘Sad’ -->‘Sad’ --> Picture
Trial 5 -

After lots of trial and error and reading previous posts for ideas, I was able to get Superlab to EITHER present the word 3 times followed by a picture OR present a number 5 times followed by a picture but the sample experiment still needs a lot of tweaking to get it to work the way I want. See attached (i.e., Test_ V3.zip) for the experiment package. I can only get this to work for the 1st trial, it then reverts to presenting the word/number 1 time followed by picture. Another thing, how do I get Superlab to randomly present either the words or numbers?

Thank you for the clarification, it was very helpful. I have attached a sample experiment that gives you an idea how to set up your experiment. It is a much easier way to go about it for there are no macros or expressions involved.

acap.sl4 (7.9 KB)

Repeat and Random presentation of a word

Thanks Monika! Once again, your help is greatly appreciated. :wink: