Correct Input for Different Events?

Hi,
I’m new to superlab and am trying to make a delayed match to sample task to do with monkeys. I think I’m more or less figuring out how to get it going, but I’ve hit a stumbling block. I want to do 2 things that I can’t figure out:
(1) Because our monkeys just like to hit the touchscreen I want the sample picture to have to stay up on the screen for at least one second, or until the monkey responds (otherwise they may advance too quickly and not even see what the sample was to know what the match should be). There’s a feature to do this for ‘whichever comes first’ but is there one to do this ‘whichever comes last’? I’ve discovered a work-around (just create another event) so it’s not the end of the world, it’ll just mean I have to make a million event slides. Just trying to figure out how to make this as simply and elegantly as possible :slight_smile:
(2) I also want to say that when looking at the sample the monkey can respond by hitting the screen anywhere, before going on to the delay and then the choice. BUT, when it comes to the choice, only one of two areas (picture 1 and picture 2) will be available as options. It seems if I allow input to be anything for the sample, then they can hit anywhere on the screen for the match. Is there any way to specify which inputs are acceptable (even if they’re wrong, still acceptable) for one event but not another? I know you can do this for text vs mouse etc, but within the framework of the touchscreen / mouse?
I hope my questions make sense! And thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Clarification

Oops, I just realized that I was unclear in my first question–what I really want is for them to have to do BOTH – there should be a delay of one second and then (only after the delay) can the monkeys respond. So instead of an “or” command I’m looking for an “and” command.
Thanks!! :slight_smile:

For your first question, you can accomplish this by using two events. Your first event, the “sample picture” will end after 1 ms. Then, have another event immediately after for your response collection.

Regarding your second question, this can be done by defining three areas on the screen. When wanting the monkey to be able to press anywhere on the screen, define the entire space of the screen as an area. Then, you can set the 2 pictures as correct responses. Under the Input tab, you then set the event to end only after a correct response.

Thanks, Monika! I totally see what you’re saying, but I don’t think that will exactly solve my problem. Of the two responses that they can make on the second screen, one of them really is correct and the other one is wrong. I need to be able to give the monkeys feedback (one tone if they’re right and a different tone if they’re wrong) accordingly. Any thoughts?
Thanks again! I appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

The way I explained to set up your experiment will result in the proper behavior. However, in SuperLab you can only designate one correct response and one incorrect response.

Ok, just to be clear, there is no way to set something up like this:

Event 1: the monkeys can respond by touching anywhere on the screen

Event 2: the monkeys can only respond by touching one of two locations on the screen, one of which is correct, one of which is incorrect

Thanks!