Defining a Response Area

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am working with some picture file stimuli, and I would like to define parts of these pictures as correct response areas. I have been using the Participant Input screen to set up “specific area found at pixels.” First, I’ve been getting more and more of those X/Y lines that show where the pixel is. Is there any way for me to hide the ones from other pictures when I am working with new ones? The screen is getting a bit complicated.

Also, I would like to know what the Width/Height variables to the right of the pixel location variables are (under Mouse Response->Key, when editing a Mouse response). Does this control the size of my correct response area? If so, is there any way to make that visible? If not, then how do I define a response area? Getting participants to click a single pixel is rough.

I know this sounds like basic stuff, but I have been asking and searching and I have yet to find conclusive answers.

Thanks for your time and response.

There is no way to hide some response areas but not others.

The Width and Height directly affect the size of the response area.

Are you creating response areas for fitting a single pixel? If so, this can get tedious quickly. Keep in mind that when you run the experiment, SuperLab will report the exact pixel position that the participant has clicked on.

I don’t really need to hide any part of the stimulus. What I want to do is display a picture of a door and have the response area be the knob.

My understanding is that I need to pick a pixel (for example, X:777, Y:295) and define an area around that pixel using the Width and Height (Width: 100, Height: 100). Is there anyway that I can actually see my response area and how it corresponds to the image? If that were possible, it would allow me to be much more accurate than I currently am.

So, I’ve been doing this for my visual stimuli and unfortunately it’s starting to look a little cluttered on my end. I’ve attached a picture of what one of my previews looks like.

I do know about SuperLab reporting participants clicking locations, but I was hoping to use the “Will not continue unless given correct response” feature and use increased response time as a measure rather than a binary right/wrong measure.

Again, thanks for responding! I look forward to your reply!

Untitled-picture.png

Yes, you can see the response area and how it corresponds to the image. To do so, open the Event Editor. In the Stimulus tab, click on the Preview button. SuperLab will draw the stimulus exactly as it will be presented to participants and will overlay the response areas on top of it.