Presenting random numbers

I am trying to use the logic of the number memory test experiment described by MonikaT. (http://community.cedrus.com/showthread.php?t=860&highlight=number+memory+test).

I know I am doing something really stupid, but I am not sure what it is. We wish to present 8 digits (rather than 5) in the format XXXXXXXX. Either no repeats or 1 repeat of any digit is permissible.

I attached two versions of a partial experiment. In both versions sometimes 8 digits are displayed (as desired), but sometimes 7 or fewer digits are displayed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jam Study the new random 20 slot.zip (207 KB)

Jam Study the new random 10 slot.zip (207 KB)

The problem that your experiment is having is due to a bug in SuperLab. SuperLab was not resetting the trial variable correctly. The bug happens in only very specific situations.

You can get around it in your experiment by following these steps:

1. Change the variable to Sequential

2. Save and re-open the experiment

3. Change it back to Random With No Replacement

Also, you only need to use two invisible locations for your trial variables. You should have a total of 10 trial variable locations, eight onscreen and two for off.

[QUOTE=MonikaT;3567]The problem that your experiment is having is due to a bug in SuperLab. SuperLab was not resetting the trial variable correctly. The bug happens in only very specific situations.

You can get around it in your experiment by following these steps:

1. Change the variable to Sequential

2. Save and re-open the experiment

3. Change it back to Random With No Replacement

Also, you only need to use two invisible locations for your trial variables. You should have a total of 10 trial variable locations, eight onscreen and two for off.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much!

(Was I wrong to think that if I have 10 “digit” events that I needed 8 visible and 2 invisible locations, but if I had 20 “digit” events that I needed 8 visible and 12 invisible locations? I was thinking the latter would give me some repeated digits and the former would not.)

Yes, your assumption is correct.

Again thank you.

Location trial variable bug fixed in SuperLab 4.5

Just a quick note to mention that this bug has been fixed in SuperLab 4.5