Recording false answers in multiple response

Hi all,

I am trying to build an event with multiple choices requiring one response from the participant. The multiple choice comes in 6 boxes (A, B, C, D, E, F) that can be clicked on the screen. Is there anyway to record both the right and wrong answers? So far I manage to have correct and error recorded on the response txt file but the identity of the wrong answers have to be derived from the click coordinates. Is there a better way for doing this?

Best,
steve

Have you created responses under Participant Input? SuperLab will record the click coordinate as well as which response was clicked. You can also tell SuperLab in the Event Editor which response is the correct one.

Recording false answers in multiple response

Hi Monika,

Thanks for your reply. I attached here my program. I have specified the participant input, like you said, but I guess that can only work if I specify different keys for the choices.

You will notice that I choose to present each stimulus as singular event instead of using list. I have tried programming the sequence on a list but it does not work so well, i.e., sometimes I have to click twice to choose Y/N on the following event, especially if I click fast. I am not sure why. I attached the skeletons of my program for both mode of stimuli presentation.

General feedback on how to optimize the program is appreciated.

Best,
steve

FER trialerror.zip (44.3 KB)

The following link is from our FAQs, it explains on Windows when using mouse Microsoft Windows is classifying fast clicks as double-clicks. There is more information from our webpage to help you: http://www.cedrus.com/support/superlab/tn1501_faq.htm

Regarding the wrong answers and click coordinates, when we run your experiment is shows the proper label (Angry, Happy, etc) in the column named “Participant Response.” Are these values present in your data file?

Thanks Monika,

Yes I can see now that it does. I did re-program my task for posting b/c the original task was too long to upload. I specified participant input before I did anything else and deleted the default Left/Right Mouse Button responses. In my original program, the column participant response showed up as “Left Mouse Button” instead of the label.

Few more questions: you might notice that I specified two response fields for two events prompting Y/N and the Emotion label choice. Unfortunately then the option “Ignore a mouse click unless it falls inside the area defined as a response” is no longer functioning correctly - the two response fields are summed up together for the task. Is there anyway to use the two fields separately for different events?

Secondly, my laptop has no serial port and yet I would like to achieve good response time accuracy. What options do I have to improve RT recording with a mouse? Lastly, can we control the initial cursor position in an event?

Best,
Steve

Unfortunately, there is no way to have SuperLab consider one subset of areas for some events and then a different subset of areas for other events. One workaround would be to indicate that both “Yes” and “No” are the correct responses for certain events, and then specify that the event can only end upon a correct response. This means that SuperLab’s datafile would always show “C” (for correct) on these events, but you can apply your own scoring formulas in Excel (or similar program).

It might be helpful to shrink the “Yes” and “No” areas until they no longer overlap. Also, the label that is provided in the datafile output is the label of whichever mouse area matches first. If it is more important to have emotion labels (Happy, Disgusted, etc), then you should move “Yes” and “No” to the very bottom of the list of mouse responses. This way, the emotion labels will always match first. That will ensure that no “FERCHOICE” event will ever contain “Yes” or “No” in the Participant Response column of the output.

Regarding using the serial port, I am not aware of any better options out there then what you are currently using.

There is not a specific setting for initial position. However, as a workaround, it would be possible to create a trial that requires clicking on a particular stimulus. As soon as that trial is successfully completed, you would know for certain that the mouse pointer had just been positioned at the desired spot.

As always, thank you very much Monika. In the end I enlarge the YES/NO field so that they overlap completely with the emotion field. So at least there wouldn’t be any design-induced commission error.

Best,
Steve