RB-830 with Inquisit

Hi

I’ve got a problem using my cedrus response box (rb830) with Inquisit3. I installed the driver from the homepage and now wanted to test it. I used the seriell port monitor (implemented in Inquisit 3) to check whether I receive correct signals from the response box and I get them only for 6 of 8 keys. The keys top left and top right don’t send signals (probabely they should send the scancodes 64 and 128 - because the others send 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32).
First I thought that there is something damaged in my box, but meanwhile I tested seven different boxes and I get the same problem for all of them.

I found another interesting fact. I used the command “/inputdevice = xid1” instead of “inputdevice=com1”, changed the positions of the DIP switches appropriately and then checked the box with the port monitor again. Now all keys sent signals (so the two keys are probabely not damaged) but I got the same signal from all eight keys.

Could the drivers be responsible for that, or does anybody else have an idea what’s happening?

Best,

Andy

p.s. I set the baud rate to 9600 and I put the DIP switches 1,2,3 upward as described in the instructions (http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1044_dip_switches.htm)

p.p.s. I encounter the same problem using Inquisit2, too

Hi Andy,

I’ve never used Inquisit, so I can’t be of much help with that. However, you can use a demo of SuperLab 4.0 to determine if the problem is with the response pad itself or the drivers, or if it’s with the Inquisit settings.

Once you’ve downloaded the demo, install it and run it. On the response pad itself, make sure all four DIP switches are down. Keep in mind that the response pad “reads” the switch settings only when it’s first powered up; so every time you change a switch position, you need to unplug the USB cable, wait a couple of seconds, then re-plug it.

Then, in SuperLab 4.0:

• Chose [B]Participant Input[/B] from the [B]Experiment[/B] menu. The Participant Input dialog will appear.
  • Click on the blue checkbox to the left of [B]RB-x30 Series Response Pad[/B] to select it.
  • Click on the [B]Setup[/B] tab.
  • Click on the [B]Auto Detect[/B] button.

If SuperLab finds the response pad, then the issue you’re having is on the Inquisit side; you need to contact them for assistance. If SuperLab does not find the response pad, let me know and we’ll take it from there.

I hope this helps.

Hisham.

Hi Hisham,

thank you very much for your answer. You were right - Superlab is able to find the response pad. So this seems to be alright. Is there also a possibility to check each single key of the response pad (whether or not it is working correctly)?

All the best,

Andy

RB-830 Test Experiment

Hi Andy,

I’ve attached a sample experiment. It gives you up to 5 seconds to respond to each key and will provide some feedback.

Hisham.

Test RB-830 input.sl4 (9.4 KB)

Hi Hisham,

thanks a lot for the test script. I tried it out and everything seems to be alright with the response boxes themselves. So my problem might be due to a problem with Inquisit anyway.
I’ll check into this.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Hisham,

I got another short question concerning my problem with Inquisit.
In Inquisit I only get a reaction from my response pad on a press and not on a release of the top right key. For all other keys I get correct key release signals. Does the script you sent me check the releases, too?

If not, could you please send me another short test script that also tests the correct functioning of the key releases? Unfortunately I am not able to programm SuperLab on my own. I would need such a test script to decide whether my boxes are damaged or there’s a problem with Inquisit.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Is your response pad in ASCII mode? All the other modes would be able to detect a key release, but not ASCII mode. See this comparison of the various pros and cons. I’ve never seen a case where a faulty response pad would recognize a key press but not a key release.

Hisham.

Hi Hisham,

sorry for my late resonse. My response boxes are all in the xid-mode.
Do you have any other idea what the reason for the problem might be or what I could try to solve the problem?

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

A loaner RB-830 is going to Millisecond Software tomorrow. Hopefully Sean will be able to figure out the Inquisit problem quickly.

Hisham.

Hi Hisham,

wow, that’s great. Thank you so much for all your efforts.
I’ll let you know if Sean was able to find a solution for my problem.

All the best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I heard back from Sean Draine at Millisecond Software:

With the latest updates to Inquisit, there should be no more problems using the response boxes with Inquisit. For Inquisit 2.x, the issue is resolved in version 2.0.61004.7 and later. For Inquisit 3.x, the issue is resolved in 3.0.3.0 and later.

I’m glad that this was resolved. All the best,

Hisham.

Problem Resolved

[SIZE=“3”][SIZE=“2”]Hi there,

I too came across the same problem as Andy, in that only 6 of the 8 buttons (i.e. all excpet the top left and top right) on my RB-830 response pad produced signals. After reading the information in this thread, I figured that it wasn’t the response pad that was the problem. Furthermore, since I am using the 2.0.61004.7 version of Inquisit, I gathered that it must not be a problem with the software either.

Through trial and error, I have found out that to enable the response pad to send signals correctly, you must flip the DIP switches so that 1 is set to the ‘down’ position, and 2 & 3 are set to the ‘up’ position. For some reason, this is NOT what the instructions on the Cedrus website tell you to do (http://www.cedrus.com/support/rb_series/tn1044_dip_switches.htm)! :confused: Instead, they state that you should have switches 1, 2 & 3 all flipped to the ‘up’ position if you are using Inquisit with the RB series.

I hope this has helped anyone else who has had this problem! :slight_smile:

Lauren.[/SIZE][/SIZE]