4.0.6 and Vista - Help!

Even though I can’t run SuperLab experiments with Vista because they always crash, I had been creating experiments in Vista at home and then moving them to another computer, which has Windows XP.

I saw your note in the upgrade to 4.0.6 that it had improved the performance with Vista (I was hoping this meant I could actually run experiments in Vista), so I downloaded the upgrade.

Now I can’t even open my experiments or create new ones! I’ve downloaded the upgrade twice, restarted my computer, and all I get are error messages when I try to open my experiments. I’m guessing you won’t be able to fix this problem, since that wasn’t possible with the other Vista problems, but please tell me how to uninstall SuperLab so that I can put it on another computer. It won’t let me get to the license so that I can uninstall it.

These are the error messages:

16:51:08: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-ProTec417.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
16:51:08: Plug-in “C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-ProTec417.dll” failed to load.
16:51:08: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-ProTec420.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
16:51:08: Plug-in “C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-ProTec420.dll” failed to load.
16:51:08: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-SassafrasK2.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
16:51:08: Plug-in “C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\li-SassafrasK2.dll” failed to load.
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\dv-Measurement Computing.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\dv-National Instruments.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\dv-serial.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\dv-XID.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\pr-Generic.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\pr-Win32.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Audio.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Digital Output.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-ISI.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Movie.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Picture.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-RSVP.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Self Paced Reading.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Serial Output.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Sound.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\ev-Text.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Keyboard-Single Keys.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Keyboard-String.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Lumina Pads.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Measurement Computing.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Microsoft Serial Mouse.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-PST SRB.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-RB Series Earlier Models.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-RB-x30 Pad.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-Standard Mouse.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: Failed to load shared library ‘C:\Program Files\SuperLab 4.0\Plug-ins\in-SV1.dll’ (error 14001: the application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.)
4:51:40 PM: All plug-ins failed to load! You may need to reinstall SuperLab.
4:51:40 PM: There were one or more errors loading plug-ins. Some functionality may not be available.
4:51:44 PM: An error occurred attempting to open “C:\Users\Desktop\Practice.sl4”: This experiment file is dependent on a presentation engine that is not available. SuperLab was also not able to find the default engine! You may need to reinstall SuperLab.

I’ve been able to duplicate the issue in-house. We ran into this issue on XP with the initial release of 4.0.6. Apparently the solution that worked for XP doesn’t work for a clean Vista install. I’m still working on an appropriate solution at our end. In the meantime, I apologize profusely, and will ask you to install the following Microsoft package to fix this issue:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displaylang=en

It’s the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package. Basically, without it, programs written using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 will not run. I have no clue why Microsoft leaves it up to third-party developers to get this installed on users’ systems, but they do. Installing this package (vs. waiting for a fix from us) will help prevent the same thing from happening again in the future with software from other developers, so installing the package is ultimately the better way to go. All versions of SuperLab 4.0.x have included the appropriate DLLs in the SuperLab application folder. With SuperLab 4.0.6, we upgraded from Visual Studio 2003 for various reasons, and this is the resulting issue we’ve run into.

I did the download and that seems to have taken care of the problem. I can now open an experiment in superlab again on my computer with vista.

Thank you very much for your help!

The SuperLab 4.0.7 update now installs this package, so you should no longer have this issue with future versions of SuperLab.