mepstein88

mepstein88 is on a distinguished road Posts: 2
rb-400 on windows xp, Posted September 25th, 2014 #1
Hi,

I'm trying to use and RB-400 response pad with my experiment that is written using python and psychopy, and can't seem to get pyxid to work. When I run "pyxid.get_xid_devices()" I just get "[]".

Is there something I need to do besides just plug it in and search for the device? Anyone else out there trying to get one of these older models to work?

Thanks,

Michael
mepstein88

mepstein88 is on a distinguished road Posts: 2
Posted September 25th, 2014 #2
Also - does anyone know of a convienent way to test the response pad to make sure it works? I tried superlab, and can't get it to respond there either.
Hisham
Founder

Hisham is on a distinguished road Posts: 1,175
Posted September 26th, 2014 #3
The RB-400 is not an XID device and will not work with pyxid. Communication between the RB-400 and the computer is only one way: from the response pad to the computer when a button is pressed. This means that the RB-400 has no way to “listen” to commands coming from the computer, and therefore SuperLab has no way to auto-detect its presence.

As for it not working with SuperLab, this can be due to one of the following reasons:
  • You might be using a USB-serial port adapter, but the USB driver is not installed correctly
  • You specified an incorrect baud rate; the actual baud rate that you choose to use does not matter, but the computer and the RB-400 must be using the same one
  • You specified the wrong serial port / COM port

There is, of course, the slight possibility that the response pad has stopped working after 15+ years, but the RB series has a superb track record quality wise. Nevertheless, if you are suspecting a malfunction, you can send it in and I’ll look into it for you.
Tags
python, pyxid, rb-400, serial, winxp