Page 2 of 2:  1  2  
SylviaG

SylviaG is on a distinguished road Posts: 7
Posted June 12th, 2018 #11
Thank you for your response. To address your questions:

1. Our lab is not using an m-pod. The EEG acquisition, stimulus presentation, and the participant are located in the same room several feet apart.

2. We are using a USB cable that has a ferrite core. What would be the affects if our lab were to use a USB that doesn't have this cable?

3. The lab is located at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York
Hisham
Founder

Hisham is on a distinguished road Posts: 1,190
Posted June 12th, 2018 #12
1. If not using an m-pod, how is the output of the RB-540 connected to EGI? Feel free to post a picture.

2. The ferrite cores boost noise immunity.
SylviaG

Posted June 13th, 2018 #13
The Cedrus response box is connected to a PC presentation stimulus computer via the USB connector (we use a USB extension cable). The stimulus presentation software that we use is Neurobehavioral Systems Presentation which takes as input the response pad and outputs to the EGI system via a parallel port that goes through an EGI AV device to a serial port. This serial port is connected to the EGI AMP that then through a fiber optic cable goes to a switch box to an ethernet cable to the EEG acquisition computer.
SylviaG

Posted June 14th, 2018 #14
Just to add the extension USB cable does not have the ferrite cores.
Hisham
Founder

Hisham is on a distinguished road Posts: 1,190
Posted June 14th, 2018 #15
The fact that this happens when using an external keypad as well makes me think that the issue is not with the response pad, but rather elsewhere with the PC or the cabling.

A potential source of trouble might be the USB extension cable. How long is it?

I ask because the USB standard is a “desktop” bus, meaning that it was designed for devices that can be found on your desktop. The length of USB cables is limited to about 10 feet. Beyond that, you will need to use a powered USB repeater. This is a device that receives the USB signal and amplifies it so it can travel further.
SylviaG

Posted June 18th, 2018 #16
I wasn't able to find the brand of the USB extension but it's about 6 feet. I also heard of people braiding wires to help minimize electromagnetic interference. Would you recommend that?
Reply « Previous Thread - General - Next Thread »
Page 2 of 2:  1  2